• show-popup

Shares 0

Ashley Furniture, PEELING LEATHER?!?!

Company Ashley Furniture
Product / Service Sonoma Sofa
Location Washington, District Of Columbia
Category Furniture and Decor
Views 1370

Below is my complete Better Business Bureau complaint,
so you know the whole story.

COMPLAINT ACTIVITY REPORT Case # 91065218 Better
Business Bureau of Metropolitan Dallas, Inc.

Business Info: Ashley Furniture Home Store, Frisco, TX
75034

Consumer's Original Complaint Please HELP ME!! I
purchased a whole leather living room set from ASHLEY
HOME STORE IN FRISCO on February 19, 2007. I also
purchased the 5 year warranty. It was delivered to me
on March 5th 2007. What I have is a leather reclining
sofa, reclining leather love seat and leather rocker
recliner, all the same brand & material.

We have had no problems until this past week. Our
furniture is PEELING, yes peeling. The salesman
assured me that it was 100% leather wherever our
bodies touched. I wasn't aware that genuine leather
was supposed to PEEL, it just flakes off. It looks
horrible and it's only 9 months old!par Yesterday I
called the insurance people and they basically told me
that 'peeling' was specifically not covered, although
stabbing with a knife was. So if I stab my couch
'accidentally' they will fix it for free for 5 years
but since it is DEFECTIVE and PEELING it is not
covered.

I then called the Ashley Home Store where I purchased
the furniture and asked to speak to the manager, they
asked why and I explained my problem to them. They
then said that I would have to let a customer service
person know and they would take care of my problem. I
went through the whole speech with the customer
service lady and she explained that they would be
happy to come and look at my defective furniture and
see what, if anything, needed to be done about it. I
was very upset and asked if I could just get my money
back (since it's already paid in full) or exchange it
for some other type of REAL LEATHER furniture in their
store. They then told me that they would 'repair' any
defective furniture or replace the cushion for up to
one year then after that I am on my own. They said
that peeling leather is not uncommon.par I have had
another leather couch (which I still own) and it has
never peeled, and my children were small back then and
jumped all over the couch!

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS, I just want to get my money
back and go someplace that sells REAL LEATHER
FURNITURE and will back their warranty if it is
defective! THANKS SO MUCH

Delivery Date March 9, 2007
Sales Rep#HD93430
Problem first seen Jan 1 2008

Consumer's Desired Resolution: I shopped many
furniture stores and decided on Ashley because of the
customer service. Since I was told when I purchased
this furniture that it was real leather, I assumed it
was real leather. When my hard earned money was spent
on that, I was hoping to keep it for many years and I
expected it to hold up and look nice the entire time
like my other furniture has. Since the customer
service person said that they wouldn't let me exchange
it for another brand that was 100% leather, and I
requested a refund and they denied that. I would
rather not hassle with it any longer and be able to
get my money back and purchase REAL LEATHER furniture
elsewhere as soon as possible so I can enjoy what I
have and not be embarassed to show people my cheap
imitation leather furniture. I would like a 100%
refund as soon as this can be resolved, I do not want
it 'repaired'

Today is January 11th, the Ashley Technician just left
my house. He immediately saw the problem and then
started PEELING back more of the leather. Now there is
a huge 2-3 inch spot that is totally peeled away. He
was VERY friendly and very insightful. He told me that
he could replace the one cushion and the other 8 or so
spots that are peeling he could 'paint' them when he
repaired the cushion. He said that my PAINT was
PEELING off of my leather. I wasn't aware that leather
was painted. When I showed him other pieces of leather
furniture that I own that haven't ever peeled (but
show wear) he let me know that furniture isn't made
the same way it used to be. He said that in the past
things had better quality and held up better.

I also told him of the extended warranty that I
purchased that was good for 5 years, but did NOT cover
peeling leather. I told him that didn't understand why
it didn't cover that and why the manufacturer only
covered peeling leather for one year. If it peels, it
should be replaced or refunded no matter how long you
have had it!

I expressed how unsatisfied that I was with the
product and asked if I could just get a refund and
purchase quality furniture from a business that stood
behind their product. He replied no, that Ashley
doesn't give refunds anymore. I asked him if he had
ANY Ashley Furniture in his home, he replied NO MAAM,
I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OF THAT FURNITURE IN MY HOME. When
I asked why, he said that it wasn't good quality. That
is pretty sad when your own employee says that about
your products! I need to get this resolved, as I don't
want a couch with an orange circle on it in my family
room.

After hearing the technicians advice and knowledge it
made me wonder why anyone does business with Ashley
Furniture. I know one thing, I will not be back. They
need to have higher standards and make sure their
customers are HAPPY, then they would have a great
referrals and repeat customers.

01/25/2008 BBB MORE INFO RECEIVED FROM THE CONSUMER
: I thought about it and after the ASHLEY FURNITURE
repairman told me that he would NOT have ASHLEY
FURNITURE in his own home because it had POOR QUALITY,
the more infuriated I am that they won't refund my
money. There are NUMEROUS reports online of other
people with the same problem with ASHLEY FURNITURE as
well. They don't stand behind their products and just
want to 'patch' the problem instead of make their so
called 'customers' happy. I wonder if the manager of
the Frisco store would be ok with me bringing my
PEELING FAKE LEATHER couch to the entrance of his
store, and sat on it with my children and passed out
flyers with my receipt (that shows the date of
purchase to prove it's less than a year old and a
piece of ***) along with photos of all of the peeling
leather on numerous places on my couch to potential
new victims? Maybe that would open their eyes and at
the same time SHOW PEOPLE WHAT POOR QUALITY ASHLEY
FURNITURE IS!

2/13/08 I received a small package at my doorstep and
when I opened it, there was a piece of pleather wadded
up in a bag. I'm assuming this is the piece they will
attempt to 'repair'.

I called A OK Repair group as soon as they opened to
let them know that I got the piece and to coordinate
the repair, since I've already missed work twice and
will miss again Monday for the RIP to be repaired, I
would like to have the other piece fixed at the same
time. They told me it shouldn't be a problem, that
they could fix it, but to call my warranty program and
let them know to add it to the 'work order'.
I then called the warranty company and explained
everything. They then told me that they couldn't do
that, they were two seperate companies and all they
handle is the rips, not the peeling leather. I then
asked WHO I was supposed to contact to get this
resolved, and they replied for me to call the A OK
Repair group.

I hate getting the run-around, but it seems that is
all I have had lately regarding this mess. I would
like a COMPLETE REFUND, this is RIDICULOUS!

Feb 18, 2008 Well, today yet another run around story!
AMAZING! The tech from A OK repair group came, as
promised. This is the THIRD time so far I have had to
*** of work for this horrible piece of furniture,
and yet the saga continues. He said he COULD NOT
repair the peeling leather (which I assumed he would)
then started taking pictures of the rip in the seam.
He said he could not repair it so he would need to
order a replacement part (IMAGINE THAT!) and as soon
as it came in, I could make yet ANOTHER appointment to
get that section of the piece of JUNK FURNITURE fixed.

SO, now I will have a MINIMUM of FOUR times I must
leave my job for ASHLEY FURNITURE TO ATTEMPT to repair
their defective furniture. My job is on the line now,
I can't imagine what it will be like when I tell them
I need to *** at LEAST two more times for this!
DO YOU KNOW OF ANY PLACES OF BUSINESS THAT ALLOWS
THEIR EMPLOYEES TO *** OF WORK SIX TIMES IN LESS
THAN TWO MONTHS? I sure don't.

AGAIN, I BEG, I NEED MY MONEY BACK ASAP to end this
horror story and get my life back. My husband has
called TOM from the FRISCO store and left THREE
MESSAGES NOW and he has yet to return any calls,
IMAGINE THAT! This is totally ridiculous and horrible
customer service and I tell AND SHOW everyone I know
my furniture and tell them the horrible way I have
been treated, all of the run around I have had and let
them decide for themselves where they want to shop!
HELP ME PLEASE! 3030c69

Comments (80) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 80 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Dec 30, 2013  from Saint John's, Newfoundland And Labrador
This is unbelievable. We bought sofa and recliner at Atlantic Home Furnishing in St. John's, NL. We were told the same thing that part of the furniture was real leather. Our recliner now is not fit to look at. It is just over 15 months old. I returned to Atlantic Home Furnishing in St. John's today to see what can be done. I immediately was told that the warranty is 1 year. They can order the part to be repaired.......but I would have to pay for the repair approximately $150 - $200 myself. If part not available, they would have someone come in and paint the tears. I said "paint". I can patch it up myself with a marker pen.. I don't want a repair job, I want a new chair or a refund. I explained that this is not good enough. I tried to show pictures but they wouldn't even look at them. Immediately the sales person said he could give me the 1-800 number to the manufacturer. I said we were told that this was real leather. They both then said that it is not actually real leather but a mixture. This is totally rediculous. I said we had a leather chesterfield prior to buying this one and it lasted about 15 years....true. It was in perfect condition when we sold it, and we also had children then jumping around. The sales person said yeah but they are not being made the same way today. Well why weren't we told that before we purchased it. We put alot of time in trying to purchase a good product and the sales person was quite confident in his recommendation of... Show more
Reply to Marion

Dec 23, 2013
I have had the exact same problem with my "Genuwine Leather" recliner I bought a year ago. The "leather" is peeling off to reveal a fabric underneath. I am so frustrated with this recliner and having to vacuum my house on a daily basis just to get the flakes. I dont/cant just throw out a $300 recliner, its perfectly new. I cant believe they can advertise lies like this. They wont do anything to fix it, so I might just toss it on their doorstep or maybe get it reupholstered... :(
Reply to Mandy

Nov 05, 2013  from Orlando, Florida
None of the stores selling this *** leather will refund, repair or do anything to correct the peeling and flaking everyone is experiencing yet they continue selling this junk. Don't blame the stores, blame the real problem which is how the consumers are being screwed over by every store selling this ***. It's time for a class action law suit. I'm going to contact an attorney tomorrow and see what our options are. I'm confident we are going to prevail. I can't believe the stores continue to sell this junk knowing it is defective and :( falls apart.
Reply to Joe Green

Nov 05, 2013  from Orlando, Florida
It is not just that store. This defective Chinese fabricated FAKE leather is being sold all over the country by very "reputable" furniture stores and companies, and they are doing nothing about it. There needs to be a national recall and we need to all rally together, and bring a law suit on the sellers of this junk leather that just peels apart. Thousands of people are being screwed over and nothing is being done about, while this product is still being sold everywhere. It's time we take this to the next level and get this problem taken care of before any more people get screwed over like we did. :(
Reply to Joe Green

Mar 18, 2013
I purchased 2 Ashley reclinig leather chairs with ottomans. They all peeled after 10 mths of sercice. No children in household. The peeling is because they use "BONDED" leather. It's real leather alright, but it's shaved leather. It's real *** and does not hold up, but the sales people tell you it's real leather and they are not lying. Don't buy bonded leather!
Reply to zoom-zoom

Feb 07, 2013
Ashley never sells genuine leather furniture. All their advertised leather is junk. they just dupe people into buying their junk.
Reply to pos

Jan 16, 2013
Think twice, three, or four or more times before buying Ashley JUNK Furniture. They do not stand behind their sub quality products - guess they are afraid it might fall apart on them . Spend extra somewhere else to get better quality and something that will last.
Reply to rock and roll

Jan 08, 2013  from Sewell, New Jersey
Exact Same Problem!

Bought the black "leather" couch and love seat 3 years ago. Now I knew I wasn't getting a real high quality deal, I know what a true beat leather piece of furniture feels like, but I was certainly not expecting a 3 year life span out of a 3200.00 couch and love seat... *** I can't even flip the *** cushions... Never again. Now to find some *** covers so that I can hide the disgusting grey patches and keep the flakes off my ***... Don't even get me started on the *** dining room table and chairs that were bent... My local store went out of business... Wonder why...

I think they should be forced to pay EVERY customer that purchased their "bonded leather" for a real piece of Furniture... :(
Reply to Same Deal

Dec 27, 2012  from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I bought a leather sectional from Ashley about 10 years ago and is very happy with it. The leather is worn off somewhat but is still in OK shape. It went through a lot over the years with 12 people in the house. Looking to buy new one from them soon.
Reply to 9lucky1

Dec 15, 2012
The above set you wrote about is notorious for issues with peeling, it is real leather however the color is the problem here, they use to offer it in three different colors and the other two (black and galaxy) had no problems at all. The set has now been discontinued due to all of the ongoing peeling issues they had with it, the store knew about this problem I guarantee you that much, since it's been ongoing for over a year and Ashley would've covered the problem so if the store isn't going to do anything, it's the store not Ashley themselves.
Reply to JR

Nov 30, 2012
Iam going through the same processs..My sofa which is less than 2yrs started peeling and called the company,yes nothing they can do...Not only I lost money it looks ugly this sofa lying in my livig romm........plz dont buy these craps from china
Reply to Ash

Nov 15, 2012
I have the same problem with my Ashley *** leather. I want my money back too. They said. Oh sorry that happens. Not I less than a year. Lets get a class action lawsuit and get our money back. If it was a car it would be recalled right?
Reply to JonM

Oct 09, 2012
glad to hear im not the only one... i bought a sectional w/ sleeper and recliner, close to $3k after tax and extended warranty. got same runaround after calling 18months later and telling them it was peeling. they told me that was expected wear for leather. i had a upholstery company come out to give me another opinion and that's where i was told it was bonded leather"!!! I called ashley back and they told me that is how leather is produced now and the wear is expected... please someone sue these people for deceptive practices and failure to maintain implied warranty of use(non the less a extended warranty). i know if the paint peeled off a new car after a year someone would sue.
Reply to ben biernacki

Sep 25, 2012
I couldn't believe all the comments left on the site!!! I bought a leather three piece from Ashleys, but decided to put it in the formal livingroom as time when by it started flaking, here and their, know all over so badly i have to put it in the playroom for the kids to watch t.v. to live out the rest of its time. I have no and i do mean no plans ever to buy or recommend Ashleys furniture to anyone Ever!!! Never!! Hate Ashleys furniture big time :(
Reply to Jackie Rampergas

Jul 21, 2012
I had the same issue with so-called protected leather furniture from Macy's Home Furnishings. They replaced the chair, but here we are several years later and the love seat is starting to peel. I'm afraid I'll have no recourse for this piece. I thought expensive leather would last for generations, but won't even make a decade at this rate. Beware - scratches and gouges in good old fashioned leather are much preferable to peeling fake finish from which there is no fix.
Reply to Constanzia

Jun 29, 2012
I'm having this problem with a leather sofa I purchased from City Furniture and it's not bonded leather. The top layer is pealing off. Second time the tech has to come out. The replacement piece is pealing and an additional spot. I'm going to request a replacement sofa with a different leather finish. So frustrating!!!!
Reply to Lori Blackman

Jun 23, 2012
I betcha you guys purchased real bonded leather. It is real leather, but it's ground up leather sprayed on.
Reply to Barb

Jun 22, 2012
same china junk from city furniture, it is always your fault. they send the so called leather piece from china i have spend to get it installed thanks city junk they need a lawsuite
Reply to Robert levy

Jun 22, 2012
Reply to Robert levy

May 19, 2012
We also have the same problem. We both our sectional in Furniture Raw so i don't think Ashley is the only company that sells crapy furniture. believe it all comes from Chine. Will try to put new "paint" on it. God knows how will that look after.
Reply to Natasha

Read next Ashley Furniture complaint

Ashley's Furniture if you pick up beware

I purchased a sectional and after 7 months the seams fell apart now I have take the sofa back since...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Ashley Furniture.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug