• show-popup

Product / Service Employment
Location Guelph, Ontario
Category Life and Casualty Insurance
Views 1906

American Income Life places job ads on Job Bank and perhaps other job boards, too. It falsely states income compensation, which is potential income that very aggressive sales people might be able to earn by duping new customers. The compensation is mostly commission-based but the company makes you believe it is mostly the base salary, which it is not.

The recruiter Lindsay was very rude and unwilling to answer questions about compensation structure. She was unprofessional and quickly hung up when I inquired about compensation.

AVOID responding to their ads (job ads or product ads). AVOID WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY and AVOID BUYING ITS PRODUCTS. Infact, avoid going to their interview. It is a waste of time. 306af17

Comments (74) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 74 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Mar 07
You may as well go sell Kirby vacuums before you deal with AIL....

Mar 07  from State College, Pennsylvania
I was called by several people at AIL several times. All of them read the same script. I went to observe the presentation knowing what to expect as I have been drawn into these recruiting events when I was just starting my career.
I was surprised that a young woman, showing her tattoos and dressed inappropriately in a sleeveless party dress, was the first interview contact, when we were experiencing single digit temps.
Then I realized I am in a college town and the recruiters were probably trying to attract *** college boys. Good luck.
The office was obvious a temporary set-up, cheesy video and overblown numbers. Lots of cheap awards framed and mounted for the same person for every week they made sales. Also they claimed to be from Pittsburgh, PA but the phone number was a Wilkes Barre phone number.
Conservative professionals do not present themselves in this manner. It may be a good lesson to practice for young people starting out but not for serious professionals.
Reply to Tbear

Feb 12  from Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
I worked for this company as a "recruiter" we had to follow a script and basically lie to everyone that we cold called after a while I couldn't lie to these soldiers n moms who needed a really job to support their family. We told y'all it's not a commission based position first lie. then when asked how much was the pay we were told to ask how much did u want to make. Some would say 65k n we should say oh that's well in the range we are willing to pay second lie.We needed to convince u to come in for an interview so we could get a bonus n if u took the job we got another bonus. Oh n don't think recruiters get out of this place Scott free we needed get people in without giving any answers to their questions. Work with disrespectful people. On top of all this recruiters have to pay their own taxes we got paid hourly not to bad until u do taxes. I lost money because the form they send out for taxes says I owned my own business. now that puts me in a different tax bracket which means I have to pay extra. Bottom line if u really need a job don't work here. If u have time to pay to work here n put in long unrewarding hours be my guest.
Reply to Kat

Feb 12
All of you closed minded individuals out there have to realize that there is a negative stigma about the insurance industry. This stigma makes people automatically not want anything to do with insurance jobs so why wouldn't recruiters tell you its more of a "customer service job"? In realty it is. I work for AIL and I don't sell a thing. I go to union members houses as well as other families houses and service them. They tell me yes or no once I go over the benefits that were set up for them based on their needs. There is no trickery or manipulation what so ever. All the people saying these things obviously did not follow the guidelines put in place to make them successful. If you do what you're told and work the long hours and actually put in the effort you will be successful. How are some of the people that have been working here only 5 years making between $200k and a million a year? Oh wait, obviously they are just scamming everyone for their own benefit. Anyone thinking that is a lazy low life if you ask me. That's the problem with the majority of the younger generation, they don't know what hard work is and have never worked a day in their lives. That's fine though I will stick it out here and make a ton of money and be successful while you sit at home on the couch and work your minimum wage jobs and get nowhere in life. That's more success for the people like myself who actually put in the time and work hard for the money. Before making harsh assumptions of the... Show more
Reply to jnag

Jan 14
I just got a call today. When I asked was it an insurance company I was told no. This office is located in Blue Bell, PA. I really need a job, but not selling insurance. I need income, but not American Income.

Jan 31
Same- Blue Bell office wanted me to come in ASAP. Assuming it would be a mass "interview" with multiple candidates so that they could do a presentation and create an environment where you want to accept a "position". Not going to waste my time

Jan 06
just got a call for an interview with AIL. I asked what position i would be applying for, she said it would depend after my initial interview. I took that as a sign of a scam, and told her i can't commit to an interview if i don't know what I'm interviewing for.
Reply to JRB

Nov 17, 2012
@all with interviews..we were told to hire any and all no matter what background, sell them the 'business owner dream'...sad
@Bob--you should really read all of what I wrote
@Katelyn--as a single mother, congrats, the eve's and weekends must be extremely difficult. Go ask your mga for your AP&P report, look at your retention, they have trained you to 'expect' 1 out of 3 to cancel and your retention is probably low if your selling that much. What the co. will not tell anyone (a friend in Waco at LDS told me) that 13 month retention is around (co. ave) 40% and policies greater than 2yrs less than 25%. bye bye renewals. The reason as I've stated below is you are selling ***. If your friends and family ever took their policy to anyone who has any financial experience or a better ins. co....they would be very, very upset at you. Sorry to break the bad news but do your own research, read what I've said, do the math, and use common sense. I to didn't know what I was selling until I sat down with a guy from another ins co. and he ran whole life illustrations (a concept no one at AIL even knows, ever wonder why??) I was horrified that I was selling this to people...and quit.

I worked for AIL for 5 1/2 years, went thru all their mgmt ranks, sold many, many policies. For you agents and policy owners, research what you are really selling or bought. The SGA's, RGAs, MGAs wont tell you what it really is, and the agents(they don't know)they call it a freedom of
... Show more
Reply to Former Mgr, SA, MGA, RGA and p

Nov 16, 2012
This company is a fair company. I will be happy to do Business with them. I am afraid those who report about this company are spammers.
Reply to bob

Nov 16, 2012
"Work at home", a need to very heavily recruit, and then immediately charging the new hire for "school" or fees or whatever else....

Anyone with a clue will know that those characteristics are the trademark signs of a ripoff for the "employee." Who knows how many of the people defending the company here are brainwashed 21 year olds and how many work for AIL, but it's nauseating to read.
Reply to jh

Nov 02, 2012
katelyn, it is remarkable that you are doing so well, truly you are in the top .001% according to AIL's parent company's reporting. Torchmark reported AIL had 5472 agents in the thierd quarter that produced $41 million in net ALP, about $7493 in net ALP per agent for the entire quarter. The calculates to about $576 of net ALP per agent per week, an advance of about $173 per week, before expenses. Truly, opportunity unlimited! That is a major reason that 98% of recruited agents leave within 1 year, not work effort, not intelligence, not any of the other AIL supporters reasons for the worst turnover in the industry. That lines up with the worst contract, and the worst training in the industry.
Reply to wghholtrad

Nov 01, 2012
I have worked for AIL for a little over a year. I have had no problems what so ever. I still make over $3000 a week and my clients invite me over for parties and dinner all the time. I am a single mother and still made it work for me. It is 100% you! Not the company. You cant place blame on a company for your failure. If you work you get paid. You are clearly just part of the generation that feels everything should be handed to them.
Reply to katelyn

Oct 02, 2012
Ed
Either you are intentionally ignoring the contents of the hundreds of posts on this and other sites or your reading and comprehension skills are deficient. AIL is a scam because bogus compensation claims are used during recruiting, because they claim to offer a "career" but 95% of all recruits leave within 6 months, 98% within 1 year. AIL is a scam because during recruiting they claim to be selective but will take anyone not a criminal. AIL is a scam because they claim during recruiting to have knowledge to help make recruits successful. If they possess such knowledge why a 98% failure rate? AIL has the worst contract in the industry, the recruits are poorly trained and ultimately most leave quickly with their renewals and the balance of their commissions reverting to AIL.
Reply to wghholtrad

Oct 02, 2012
American Inc. is not a scam its a insurance company, you have to like people and want to work hard, just like any job, car sales etc. you get out of it what u put into it. they have a product everyone should have,and pay claims.
Reply to ed

Sep 26, 2012
Shame I received a call this morning. I found it weird that she'd call me with a 321 304 2585 number and say call her at 888 875 7391. I'll agree and say scam. No longer interested.
Reply to Alyssa

Sep 05, 2012
I am scheduled for an interview next wendsday but I thought it was a scam so i am trying to look up the company. American Income" 951-682-8011 ext 104 address 2155 Chicago ave riverside,ca 92507 a woman named Christina called me and said found my resume on monster.com. please if B GREY, if you go to the interview then please let me know the company who called me name is American income they did not say american income life.
Reply to Karla please "AMERICAN INCOME"

Jan 08  from Wilmington, Delaware
@ Karla- I received a call this morning from Anita identifying herself and the company as American Income in Blue Bell, PA- I specifically told her I was not interested in sales and she said they were opening locations in my area. (which is Delaware) and the position was customer service and Benfit Coordinator- I then went on to research the company before my interview which is next Tuesday- I called back the # and right away which I find odd was it says you have reached human resources you are placed on a brief hold and then a rep answers- I asked if the company was American Income Life and she said yes- I then said I spoke with her earlier and an interview was schedueled , however I was not and I repeat not interested in SALES---- she then said well I will have the manager remove you from our list and she hung up on me------ I wouls say S C A M !!
Reply to Linda W

Aug 11, 2012
I am a travel agent and have been sllnieg vacations for 30 years.There are 2 types (actually more, but 2 important types) of insurance.One is trip cancellation and interruption. This is the one I sell most of the time because it covers EVERYTHING pre and post departure. If an airline or tour operator goes bankrupt, if your hous burns down and you need to cancel before, if someone gets sick or dies, if a terrorist hits, you can get your money back on non refundable packages.This also includes post departure (you can purchase post alone).Post meansMedical coverage up to 50000.00 (that your insurance may not cover in a different country)If you need to be flown home for an emergency (either you or a family member) it pays forunused days of your trip (cost of hotels paid for and any other expences)The flight back to you origination is covered if you have to return early or reroute from somewhere other than where your ticket was ticketed from. Could be a lot of money on this alone.There are dozens of additional things that are covered by a good insurance carrier. I suggest you ask your local travel agent for more information. Travel Insured is who I use, but many agencies use Travel Guard. I have used Travel Insured for 30 years, and have nothing negative to say.PS I do not accept business from this site. I suggest you contact a local travel agency. Your trip is a very important item that you have saved for. The cost of insurance is minimal to protect yourself.
Reply to Pooja

Aug 01, 2012
they did not pay me for my last 4 sales, saying I owed money to the bucket fund, what a lie. I would avoid this company like the plague, I made decent money but when I found out after I quit
I wouldnt be paid for business I wrote, stay away they are scam artists who will not only steal your money but your soul
Reply to jon doe

Jul 09, 2012
To the people that work at AIL. I will be more than willing to show you all of the proof that I have. and the commissioner is awaiting it as well. Heres the facts. you don't know what process people are in regarding this company andby representing the company you call name and defame that person there could be issues from it. Fact is I am more than happy to put up my 20 years in business against any of you kids anyday. I have always worked anywhere from 60 to eighty hours a week and raised 10 children doing so. So... there goes the lazy theory. Point is, people have very valid complaints and who are you to trash there very valid experiences just because you were let in to the click. I am educated and I would like to know how many of you spraying insults can say the same. The most successful people there are the ones that are very young, that have no problem breaking the laws and deceiving people to get in to homes, every single one of us had to learn the script. We use the bullsh*t reason the are sponsered to get free benefits. We just want in the door. before these poor people know it they have paperwork filled out and they are usually poor and in the worst neighborhoods. When I was hired, I was told I was hired in as management as well as working with Union Members, again never met one union member, then found out PR does it. I am happy for those of you that are making money, but you do so deceiving people. That's not OK
Reply to Jenn Thomas

Read next American Income Life complaint

AIL Hires A Lot Of Felons

I think its pretty scary that this company is still in business and operates under the guise of bein...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about American Income Life.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug