• show-popup

Location Columbus, Ohio
Category Life and Casualty Insurance
Views 2198

Update added by user Jan 10, 2012
The environment seemed fun, yet very unprofessional. times out of 10 you are tricking the client with a way to get into there home using fee AD&D policies, child safety kits and a script. Everything in that business from the recruiters on the phone to the agents in the field is a ridiculous script. The 3 Part interview=script. The manager=script. If you want to be treated about how lazy you are and how not dedicated you are because you want a day off for the birth of a child, or the death of a parent or because you are ill then work for Ail Ohio. Eli does a great job at making you feel like *** because life happens. But I must say that Marcus is the ring leader. Most of the management have no family or spouses. There is much better out there in the insurance industry, don\'t believe the hype of Ail and if you do and are lucky enough to work under Eli you wont last long due to his degrading personality and slave driver behavior.

Original review posted by user Jan 10, 2012

Im writing because I was recently employed with Ail.I got my start with posting a resume online and a recruiter with Ail contacted me.

I also did my homework and read all the bad reviews about Ail. I decided to follow through with a position as an agent in the Columbus Ohio office. This was a first time sales position for myself. I was miss led about the "paid training".

I paid for my online green light training background check as well as my state test and license, which came to about 350.00. I was told I would be reimburse after the 3rd wk out of training, which I was by 500.00, as long as you write 1100.00 in business each week for those 3 wks. I spent about a month in training with my GA whom coded me sales in which he in turn receives an override on plus a bonus. I did really well.

Yes it took some getting used to considering the 70 plus hours per week and a minimum of 6 days but when the holidays come up look out it is a 7 day mandatory week. So much for being a 1099 employee. I had to buy all supplies i.e, laptop, GPS, materials all "write offs" mind you. I averaged about 1500.00 per week in advances plus about 500.00 a week in bonuses.

Everything was gravy, except my marriage was falling apart and my children were upset that they never seen me. Then business started canceling for whatever reason i.e, the prospect was laid off, lost job, life happened it was then up to me to pay back what i was paid on. That is the crappy part and there is no controlling it. Not to mention everyone on our team hated our newly promoted MGA Eli.

This man cared for no one but himself. He talks to you like a child. Then there is the "bulldog". I was really brain washed to think it doesn't get better then this and that I had a great job.

I was promoted to Senior Agent. I now set appointments with union leads that are very much recycled, have 4-5 field days of a minimum of 32 appointments and now I'm recruiting random resume's that Ail pays for and have to set at least 30 interviews per week, plus train and build my own team and code business in there name. The call sheets for the resumes are literally names with phone #'s and where they came from, monster or career builder. They don't actually print up your resume and don't actually care who you are as long as you are not a 45plus yr old man or woman.

They only want the young people that are easily brainwashed. I put my resume' out there to see if Ail was as good as it gets and I found much better.

I would however like to thank Ail and Mr.Eli for opening my eyes with his degrading manner to seek employment elsewhere with a better W2 insurance company who pays an 80% commission on top of salary. 2f0d9e6

Comments (39) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 39 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Mar 14  from Boise, Idaho
I interviewed and I am older so can't be brain washed as easily. I doubted things all along and made comments. While it is true, it is best to be face to face at a kitchen table to make a decision about life insurance, the trend is that consumers wan to make the decision on line with tools available there... AIL takes advantage of the blue collar workers who are lower income or less informed. They actually give less coverage for higher monthly premiums. These customers are so thankful to be able to get any insurance, especially after being told they "probably won't qualify"...another way they mislead consumers. Yes, they use intimidation and fear tactics, they are unethical and thier product for insurance is inferior. Thier agents are overworked on straight commission and don't even know what they are actually selling. I asked too many questions and noticed too much was not right and was shown the door. They did me a favor...I am now working for several carriers to be able to give quotes from many to choose from, and my commission is at 90% AIL has you start at 40% running 60 to 70 hours a week. If you agree to let yourself be run into the ground working 60 to 70 hours doing appointments all over the state, you might as well stay independent and get 90% commission instead. Guess it depends on how naive you are! So glad I educated myself and got out of AIL as soon as I was licensed!
Reply to heathere

Mar 25
You are correct, AIL has the worst agent contract in the industry. They also have the worst training which leads to the highest agent turnover in the industry and the worst policy retention in the industry. None of these facts are disclosed during recruiting.
Reply to wghholtrad

Mar 04
wow i'm so glad that i did some research on this company. my resume is set up for customer service call agent for inbound only. i was very specific when i got a call from Dave Guzman in Columbus, Ohio. he asked if i was still seeking full time employment and i said and i quote, "yes i am, as long as it is not a sales position." a majority of the emails that i get are from recruiters that want people to scam people into buying stuff. i worked at teavana at easton mall and it was a great job but i was uncomfortable with trying to sell sell sell. i would rather have someone come in, know what they want, and then i ring them out. i'm an extremely friendly, sweet, and HONEST person. that's why i couldn't be in sales. the guilt i feel when i am in a sales job messes with me on an emotional level. needless to say, i will not be going to my "business meeting" on thursday. i have already been lied to and i didn't even have to go anywhere! if someone asks you if the job is a sales job, and you lie right to their face, i do NOT want to work for you. so back to the job hunt i go!
BYE FELICIA!
Reply to danceclaradancex

Feb 08
THIS PLACE IS A SCAM! I HAVE REPORTED THEM TO THE OHIO DEPT. OF INSURANCE. WHEN I WENT FOR MY FAKE INTERVIEW, PAT, ONE OF THEIR SO-CALLED EXECUTIVES ACTUALLY HAD THE GALL TO CALL ME OUT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE (40 PEOPLE WERE THERE) AND TOLD ME TO GO INTO HIS OFFICE AND HE SHUT THE DOOR BECAUSE HE COULD TELL I WAS ANNOYED. I THINK HE WAS AFRAID I WOULD BLOW THE WHISTLE ON THEM BECAUSE I SAW TOO MANY RED FLAGS. WHAT A POMPOUS *** TO THINK HE COULD INTIMIDATE ME! I TOLD HIM THE COMPANY WAS WEIRD AND THERE WAS SOMETHING VERY SHADY ABOUT THEM. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I QUICKLY LEFT! THAT'S AN HOUR OF MY LIFE I'LL NEVER GET BACK!

Feb 06  from Elyria, Ohio
I had an even worse experience, was in college full time when i got the call 75,000. a year oh wow ok , no pay worst every management system full of intimidation, humiliation and misrepresentation. I walked away from Ins. because of the time spent there. no pay,
worked average of 70 hrs a week. my story is too long to list here my advice..RUN RUN
RUN FAST

Jan 01
And what company would that be? I am taking my license test again tomorrow then reporting to the office. I am going to have a talk with them because I am counting on paid training. After all I have put in my part. :eek
Reply to Lucy

Dec 05, 2013
I work for AIL Traboulay (Out of London Ontario) and it is a *** job for the first 3-4 months, after which you make your own schedule.

As for the script, all sales are scripts. That car salesman that comes up and goes "We have this for X amount, or this for X amount cheaper" that is a script. McDonald's infamous "would you like fries with that" is a script.
Reply to AIL Thomas

Oct 01, 2013  from Hazelton, West Virginia
Just got this email this morning looking for an agent in my area. Why would the CEO of a supposedly successful company be writing from a BS Human Resources account that lacks the company's own webpage as an @ extension?
That's initially what raised the red flags. I called the number and asked about the cost of training. Yup... $350. That $175 weekly allowance twice- as another poster mentioned.
You all were a great help! Thanks!
Reply to pomeranian

Aug 21, 2013  from Akron, Ohio
I used to work for AIL Cleveland, I did buy into all the smoke screens and even became #1 supervising agent, I had no life, other than AIL....I now run a team in health and life insurance , I make good money, only work a normal 40hrs a week, I have real leads from people who want to buy insurance, I have no scripts, no b.s, and no smoke screens or tricks....
please let me no if your looking to stay in insurance without having to buy leads or work the whole state!
I pick my zips and can change them daily....
offices throughout ohio...330-268-3393 let me know if I can help you. ,)
Reply to done being lyed to

Oct 07, 2013  from Newark, Ohio
Any locations in central ohio
Reply to BFlem

Dec 08, 2013
Hi,
Any suggestions for good companies to work for in Columbus Ohio?
Reply to Midstate

Aug 20, 2013  from Dayton, Ohio
thank you for the heads up, was heading to an interview tomorrow afternoon.......sounds to me like someone wasted my time so there will be no courtesy call informing them of my change of interest.
Reply to Bob

Aug 17, 2013  from Cleveland, Ohio
dang i really want to wotk for them and i already paid my 150.I hope i do good at least for 6 months and ill be set. as for owning them they gone haveto get that in blood lmao real talk though!
Reply to new member

Jul 10, 2013  from Jeffersonville, Indiana
TRAVIS MOODY AND MATT MILEY FROM JEFFERSONVILLE INDIANA ARE 2 SNAKES. DONT EVER WORK FOR THEM
Reply to KYLE TAYLOR

Jul 04, 2013  from New York City, New York
WOW :eek i work for nilico in nyc I have been a SA for 4 months i have been in the company for 7 months toatal... I actually Recruit my self on craigslist and get Real Resumes that i can see if people have experience in the field. Apparently your mgs gave you recruit leads to start if you werent lazy you would of did iit on your own.. anyway i have 6 agents under me 3 personal and 3 off craigslist and guess what one agent produces 8000alp consitently the other about 2-3k alp and my checks are $5,000 minimum weekly. and i usually write 2000alp my self minimum weekly. Because Im a Winner And Your a loser and probally not working there any more and i only work 5 days a week... if you worked smart you could tooo.. but i can see why your wife and kids hate you!! :grin LOSER for life
Reply to Mikey Batz

Aug 26, 2013  from Boston, Massachusetts
With managers with that kind of attitude, I can see why there are so many complaints.
Reply to Better than you

Apr 30, 2013  from Queens, New York
I just received an email from AIL informing me that they had gotten my résumé from the Internet and based on my previous experience wanted to set up an appointment for an interview. At first I must say that I was excited but out of nowhere came that funny feeling that there was something not kosher about it. So, I started searching the web for information and THANK GOD I came across this site. After reading all the posts I've decided to stay as far away as possible from AIL. I'll continue to search for work in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre, PA area in the hopes of finally being able to leave NY and rejoin my family whom I moved there a few months ago. I know this may sound kinda silly but God, if you read this post please help me rejoin my family soon.
Reply to Thankful

Jun 04, 2013  from New York City, New York
negativity is a culture and a disease as you may see it spread to you like the rest of the unemployed complainers who go home every night after an unsuccessful day. they are failures. There is no such thing as success without failure. Ail/Nilico in nyc has changed my life finacially and personally. i make $3500 minimum a week. at first i failed like many but looked passed it followed the structure built a market and never looked back.. i have only been in the business for 6 months and couldnt be happier if you know the value in helping families u will suceeed You should never listen to people to try to tell you that you cant do something they try to tell you cant do it because they cant do it. negativity spreads like a cancer!! and the culture will haunt your life like a demon
Reply to frank castellano

Jul 07, 2013
Hi Frank! How did you manage your schedule? I have a family and working till 10 pm every night won't work for me. I want to be successful in this job, but I'm afraid that the "flexibility" won't be there.

Any suggestions?

Dec 12, 2012
Thanks to all that posted. I got a call after posting my resume on Monster. I called the HR person and she could not answer my questions. She told me I would have to come in. Very suspicious and troubling. To the AIF person refuting a lot of the claims I would suggest that honest and hard working people do not vent unless they have a valid reason. This whole recruiting and operation is not kosher! People will lie, but your gut never does. This is not a career or great opportunity. Thanks to all those who took the time to warn the rest of us! Use it as a learning experience and get stronger from it.
Reply to Grateful Guy

Read next American Income Life complaint

American Income Life

They call every week offering me a job even though i told them I was looking for Inside Sales NOT Ou...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about American Income Life.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug