• show-popup

Location Kansas City, Missouri
Category Household Services
Views 1377
Monetary Loss

Unless you want to deal with the most frustration you've ever had in your life...NEVER EVER sign up for the ADP Flexible Spending Program.

This is a benefit plan often offered to employees by their employers. It provides automatic tax deferred deductions to be taken out of your pay for out-of-pocket medical expenses. ADP is extremely strict about members providing the (* REQUIRED) itemized receipts to substanaciate every penny you've spend (of your own money). That's not the problem-the problem is the methods in which your supposed to provide this information.

They want to receive this documentation by fax. But mysteriously, they never receive them. I sent them my 'substanciation forms and receipts' over 6 different times. Never received.

I'd call after I faxed and they won't confirm whether or not they were received. I had $2,000. deducted from my pay in 2007 and had $1,969 worth of medical expenses that they currently denying. They tell me that I actually owe (ADP) reimbursement for $1,969.

because they already paid the claims. Regardless that it's MY money. They blame it on the rules of the IRS. Never taking responsibility of their own administrative incompentency.

I've mailed them the required forms and copies of all my faxed transmission confirmations and they still refuse to confirm they received them. I mailed them Certified-Priority Mail. I'm blown away on how this huge company is getting away with ripping off employees for their hard earned wages. And how many corporations use them.

Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.
2dea0cd

Comments (39) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 39 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Apr 08
I have had numerous issues with ADP. I currently have lost over $500 from last year's Flex account as a result of ADP not notifying me properly on decisions they made numerous times on the same issue. The procedure was completed in the time period required by our agreement and they did not want to pay. I am sickened by their incompetence and intend to follow this through even if it means going to court. I have been in a Flex Spending account for a number of years with other companies I worked with without issues. This will be my last year I participate if the company I work for stays with ADP. As a side note I am not the only one in the company having issue.
Reply to JC

Feb 01  from Charlotte, North Carolina
I agree with all the frustrated consumers out there like me. Simply put, ADP and their 'required' processes do not measure up to today's standards. It irks me to no end that there is so much red tape involved to access funds that I work hard for, and set aside for medical purposes. I work in the electronic payments industry, so I know exactly what's encoded in the electronic transaction when an FSA Prepaid Card is swiped. For those of you who don't know, the FSA card that I use to pay my daughters' orthodontics bill of $500, for example, has EVERYTHING coded on the electronic payment (including merchant name, SEC Code (Healthcare), type of business, phone numbers, payment amount, merchant terminal ID, etc.)... which means that ADP already HAS this information. And yet, I am REQUIRED to complete a 'substantiation form' to write down the exact same information included in the electronic payment, along with another paper document from the Orthodontics office...then, FAX it to ADP (yes, that great 80's technology), only for ADP to reject it for whatever 'reject-of-the-day' reason they conjure up. The whole process is a complete waste of time and energy.
While other companies embrace innovation, reduce manual paper-based process, and focus on positive customer experiences, ADP seems to embrace the opposite, which is particularly ironic considering ADP stands for 'Automatic Data Processing'.

Jan 11
Count me as another frustrated (former) ADP customer. My wife has a note from her doctor saying she needs massage therapy as part of her physical therapy. We have submitted her doctor's note to ADP along with co-pay receipts for the doctor and massage place. Each time we submit the co-pay receipts from the massage therapy office, ADP denies them saying something along the lines of "submitted substantiation documentation is inadequate." The message is vague and you have to call ADP to find out exactly what they need, lest you perpetually re-submit documentation only to have it rejected with an undescriptive error message.
Getting legitimate expenses reimbursed through ADP is a nightmare! I would rather pay for medical expenses out of pocket than deal with ADP again. I am so glad my new employer doesn't use ADP.

Sep 04, 2013  from Fort Worth, Texas
Not worth it! They find a way to not pay your claims and keep the money you set aside for medical bills. Fraudulent company.

Jul 04, 2013  from Atlanta, Georgia
Now it seems that they are out-sourcing the process of checking receipts and they are even more not getting approved or flatly getting ignored. I have faxed the receipts in as well as scanned the receipts into their website and they say they have not received them. I called them and spent closed to an hour going over the receipts that I scanned to them and is still sitting in my account online on their webpage yet still being ignored. After speaking with a manager they finally admitted their mistake but a month later I started getting emails about the same receipt again. Their method is totally out of order and needs to be shown for what it is.
Reply to Really Really Mad

May 16, 2013  from Birmingham, Alabama
I'm new to this adp flex card with my job I don't reallt like it cause I wear contacts an I hd to order some new one an now it's pending cause they have to get my dr. to sign off on it really An yall taken the money out my account so why cant I get my contacts for me to see with I hate them so much this is a bunch of *** these people suck don't ever get them run away . :( :( :? :( :? :? :? :? :eek :eek :cry :cry :sigh :? :(

Apr 10, 2013  from Washington, Missouri
Deemed ineligible. Cervix exam before hysterectomy. I guess these guys are brilliant doctors that can tell there is no need to look examine something that is going to be taken out anyway. They even knew more about medical necessity than Anthem insurance whom already paid the claim. This is the last year these asshats get my money!
Reply to ADP=Incompetent

Jul 17, 2012
My husbands employer switched to ADP from Conexis and it has taken three months to get a debit card and like above they will not approve any purchases with out a doctors perscription. I am so confused I scheduled to have crowns on my teeth and now I am afraid I will have to pay upfront and wait for ADP to approve the service I don't have $1,000 to pay the dentist if they don't allow the debit card swipe. An which dr needs to write a persciption to get the crowns??
Reply to Lnichol

Jun 28, 2012
To,
All the people complaining about ADP,
1.Did u know that ADP never keeps a single penny of any participant.they have access to your employer's bank account and they take out only that amount which is required to pay the participants claims.And incase if there is any unused funds left on the account it is forfeited by the employer and not ADP.If anyone doubts this they can call customer service and enquire about this.i have been using Flexible spending accounts with ADP and never had a problem.
Reply to alice

Apr 25, 2012
This is our second year dealing with ADP incompetence and at this point I doubt we will go for a third. Every single one of my chiropractic payments requires substantiation if I have used the FSA card. Purchases at Walgeens with the FSA are automatically approved, but a purchase out of pocket with a claim filed bounces back with a "must provide medical necessity" even when the "FSA approved" note on the receipt. This has nothing to do with IRS regulations, as the IRS regs clearly state that the purchase is approved. Are there any other providers out there for ADP to compete with? Do they do a better job?
Reply to John

Apr 08, 2012
ADP FSA OPINED:

"I think its funny how all of you are mad at ADP...

I suppose you think it's some sort of :eek coincidence :eek that the US govt. created a set of rules that are so easy for a Fortune 500 company to exploit?

Their service center is in India, so it costs them pennies on the dollar to put roadblocks in your way. If they are successful in blocking your claim, they pocket your money.

Do the math.
Reply to Undroid

Jan 26, 2012
This service sucks! I never use that word either! I have spent countless hours substation forms. The real problem is the IRS new perimeters that have been enforced.
Reply to Victoria Smith

Jan 23, 2012
Worst customer service ever.

The amount of time I spent dealing with this company far outweighed the tax savings.

I will never subscribe to this service from this company again and will tell everyone I meet to do the same.
Reply to A Bach

Dec 29, 2011
The ADP debit card is terrible; you cant simply use it at any medical facility because ADP wants receipts for each swipe, even if used at the hospital. It is double the work to use the debit card; thus, its easier to NOT use the card. Best to just send in the receipts, which is a lot of paperwork and faxing. A real pain.
Reply to MSC

Dec 28, 2011
ADP sucks. Thr blame the IRS for their own incompetence. I can not buy any of the products listed as accepted by the IRS rule and ever phone call is dropped or takes more than 30 minutes. I can't wait to hear that there is a class action lawsuit against ADP.
Reply to Sina

Sep 09, 2011
i seen above where ADP is not to blame that the gov. made the rules well i used TASC last year for the same doctors and dentist and prescriptions not one single time did they ever contact me for any paperwork but this year ADP has needed paperwork for every single swipe of the card this is not the governments fault its red tape to frustrate the customer into giving up like i did till i found they would not only keep all remaining money on account but could force me to pay them back for my own money?????

i would not suggest anyone use the service and will not be enrolled next yr.
Reply to nakia

Aug 24, 2011
ADP is an awful provider. They have lost my paperwork multiple times and cut off my card. When I called in to ask how I could resolve this problem, they gave me an escalation specialist and a direct fax number. I used that fax number and they still didn't receive my fax. I have fax confirmations that I sent the paperwork in and they went through. One is for a reimbursement payment because I had to pay for my dental work because they cut off my card. They wouldn't need escalation specialists if they had decent customer service. It's archaic anyway to send a fax - why don't they have online forms where you can upload your receipts? Even my Dr. office can email me receipts. It's ridiculous.
Reply to Heather

Jun 23, 2011
I enrolled into ADP Flex account since my spouse was switching jobs. They need substantiation for each and every payment we make using the FSA Debit card even though it says clearly the charge is for a Radiology center or a doctor's office..It is really ridiculous and I am waiting for open enrollment in my spouse's company to get it over with ADP.....
Reply to Breeze

Jun 14, 2011  from Urbandale, Iowa
I think its funny how all of you are mad at ADP the only third party administrator who is a fortune 500 company. If you want to be mad be mad at the government for implementing these rules and regulations. And to be clear ADP never has the funds they sit in an account held by your employer (who gets the interest) and ADP merely has access to it. You guys all crack me up, you get mad at ADP for you not following directions or you not following the IRS stipulated rules and regulations. ADP did not create these rules the IRS and your Employer ADP was hired to enforce them.
Reply to ADP FSA

May 27, 2011
ADP is absolutely the worst provider on the planet Earth.
Reply to gsk

Read next ADP complaint

ADP made expensive payroll mistakes to the tune...

I would warn anyone who wants to do business with ADP: don't do it.They have made mistakes almos...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about ADP.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug