• show-popup

Shares 0

the AARP travel center cheated seniors

Company AARP
Location Santa Clara, California
Category Travel
Views 61
Monetary Loss

AARP fraud, cheating seniors 8/3/2010

I booked four hotel rooms (Motel 6, in Lodi, California) on July 21,2010 through the AARP Travel Center. It charged my credit card total $295. (Each room: $68 + tax $5.75=73.75 per night)

Strange enough, the AARP never sent to me via email a booking conformation, nor any sale slip or receipt. I downloaded from the web site a "cost summary".

When our 8 travelers arrived at Motel 6 in Lodi, we found that the regular rate for rooms we booked is $49.05 ($45+tax 4.05). The manager of the motel said he doesn't know why the AARP charged us $73.75. The Motel 6 has no business relations with the AARP, he added.

I called the AARP. It admitted that it has no relationship with Motel 6, but it booked through Expedia.com. Then I called Expedia.com. It said there is no any record or information about this transaction.

Our 8 travelers (all seniors over 70s) feel that the AARP has cheated us. Deeply disappointed and angry, we called the AARP many times asking it to refund us the difference of $196.20 ($49.05x4) it overcharged. But the AARP personnel, with bad attitude, refused to refund us. We strongly demand the AARP give us refund and apologize. We also advise all prospective travelers not to use AARP Travel Center's service.
(In writing this complaint, we have all supporting documents).
James zhang on behalf of 8 seniors living in california.

30b43c5

Comments (4) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Aug 16, 2010
I think that, well it's not really your fault James, it's more of the AARP's fault. This company actually comes to my compound every week to advertise and they are quite convincing. I asked around my neighborhood, everyone knows about this company and says it's actually pretty good. Even though I haven't used this company yet, i might have if I didn't see your post. This scam is not nice and should be punished.The AARP company should reimburse you for your loss since they scammed you. Also, you should be more careful on these companies, same for me too. Hopes this helps!
Reply to luke smith

Reply to Luke Smith

Aug 16, 2010
hi, alex, thanks for your valuable comments and suggestions.
Reply to james

Aug 15, 2010
Your first mistake was to trust AARP in any form! They have gone the way of PROFIT DRIVEN and seniors are their mark.

As to what you were charged, write it off as a cheap lesson. At least they did book the rooms rather then leave you out in the sun.

Last option is to contact a local media outlet for satisfaction. Im sure AARP wont like the negative publicity.

Then again, using a middle man like Expedia, probably cost them as well.

I always try to book with the front desk first to see what their prices are before I trust unknown online entities.
Reply to Alex the OGRE

Read next AARP complaint

AARP / United Healthcare Deceptive Advertising

In viewing an AARP / United Healthcare TV advertisement, it makes me mad because it is NOT true and...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about AARP.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug